Tips for Transportation From Boston AirportBy Denise Schoonhoven; Updated June 08, 2017
Leaving Logan Airport: How to get where you're going after you land in Boston
Surrounded on three sides by water, Boston's Logan International Airport is completely separated from the city. Getting across Boston Harbor isn't difficult, though, because multiple types of transportation are available to whisk you downtown and to destinations farther away. Although the airport is large and has multiple terminals, convenient walkways and free on-airport shuttle buses make getting to the departure point for your transportation swift and easy.
Travel-style tips for transportation to take from Boston Airport
With all the options available, Boston is the perfect place to pick transportation that suits your travel style.
- The budget traveler: Take the Silver Line rapid transit bus for free to downtown Boston, Cambridge or Harvard University. Also economical, the MBTA Blue Line Subway goes to downtown Boston, Fenway Park, the Back Bay and several other popular destinations for under $3, at the time of publication.
- The do-it-digital traveler: Uber and Lyft services are available at designated “App Ride/TNC” pick-up spots at each terminal. Wait until you have your luggage from the baggage claims area to request a ride using your app. Prevailing rates for the region apply, and you'll be able to see the amount of the fare before you accept the ride.
- The business traveler: Taxi ranks are located on the lower “Arrivals” level of each terminal. Expect the fare to be $30 to $45, depending on your destination address. You'll also find shuttle services at the terminal. Expect the shared shuttle ride to cost at least $20 or more.
- The sightseeing, adventurous traveler: Take the invigorating ride across Boston Harbor in a water taxi for panoramic views of the city. A free shuttle bus goes from all the terminals to the Logan Dock, and the taxis cost $12 as of the time of this publication. Water taxis have coverings and heaters to keep you comfortable in inclement weather conditions.
Bus and shuttle services from Boston Airport
For destinations in the city of Boston, make reservations for a shuttle service to meet you curbside at the terminal when you arrive. If you haven't booked ahead, unreserved seats are often available on shuttles headed toward your destination, but be prepared to wait during the busy summer season.
The Logan Express bus service is your ground transportation option for towns further out, but still within the greater Boston metropolitan area. Non-stop service from the airport to the Back Bay neighborhood, Braintree, Framingham, Peabody and Woburn typically takes under an hour.
If you're headed to destinations beyond Boston, bus and coach lines stop at the airport terminals on their routes to Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Southern and Western Massachusetts.
Boston public transportation
Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) operates the free Silver Line rapid transit bus and the Blue Line Subway from the airport as well as bus, subway, commuter rail and ferry services throughout the greater Boston area.
You may purchase a one-way ticket into town quickly at a vending machine in the airport terminal, but if you plan to spend time in the city, consider buying a 1- or 7-day LinkPass to cover fares without any fuss during your entire stay.
Other transportation from Boston airport
A dozen major car rental companies all operate from the Rental Car Center, a multistory garage and office building completely separate from the terminals. Get there by riding the free, on-airport shuttle buses which stop by each terminal every 5 to 6 minutes.
You may also take the Hingham/Hull/Boston commuter ferry operated by MBTA to Boston's Long Wharf, but check the schedule against your flight arrival times as it stops at the airport only a few times a day.
More Travel Content
- Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority: Taking the T to and From Logan
- Massport, Logan Airport: Public Transportation
- Massport, Logan Airport: App Ride/TNC
- Massport, Logan Airport: Ground Transportation
- Massport, Logan Airport: Water Transport/Water Taxis
- Boston Harbor Cruises: Water Taxi
- Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority: Fares and Passes
- Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority: Hingham/Hull/Boston Ferry
- 10Best.com: Things to Do in Boston, MA
- 10Best.com: Find the Best Things to Do in Cambridge