Best Time to Visit Puerto VallartaBy Monica Wachman; Updated June 08, 2017
Perfect timing for the Mexican beach resort city of Puerto Vallarta
Best time to visit
Planning to relax on the beach and indulge in local foods and atmosphere? Then pick a month and head on down. Visit between July and December to watch the sea turtles come ashore and lay their eggs. Check with local hotels or restaurants to find the best viewing locations. Humpback whales come to
Sample some of
Weather and seasons
Pack lightweight, breathable clothing, such as cottons and linens, and a rain jacket no matter when you visit. Women should have a light scarf to use when visiting any churches. Bring a swimsuit cover-up, and don't forget the sunscreen. That tropical sun is potent, especially when reflected off the water.
Getting there, getting around and busy times
You'll find the largest crowds, both in town and on the beaches, during holiday periods. Easter week and the last two weeks of December into the New Year are two examples. The Dia de Los Muertos festival is another. The Malecon, a beachside boardwalk filled with shops, restaurants and tour services, tends to be busy all year. Seasonal festivals also draw crowds.
Book your transportation and hotel options early to get the best rate possible. Expect few discounts during busy seasons. When flying into the
Visit the airport's currency exchange or onsite bank to pick up some pesos before you venture out. Smaller vendors don't always accept credit cards.
More Travel Content
- Puerto Vallarta: Your Own Personal Sunset
- Puerto Vallarta.net: Puerto Vallarta Malecon, a City Favorite
- Puerto Vallarta.net: Puerto Vallarta Weather
- World Weather and Climate Information: Puerto Vallarta
- Puerto Vallarta.net: Puerto Vallarta Sea Turtle Protection
- Whale Watch Vallarta: Best Time Whale Watching Puerto Vallarta
- Puerto Vallarta: Events
- Puerto Vallarta.net: Puerto Vallarta International Airport